Your daily news briefing, with the video of the day, the top news and the quote of the day.
News to know
Rebels who took control of the Libyan capital of Tripoli on Monday took over the compound of Moammar Gadhafi on Tuesday. A CNN reporter was on the scene to document the victory for the rebels, who still were experiencing sporadic fighting. There was no sign of Gadhafi in the compound, the rebels reported, and no one is sure where the deposed leader and his family are.
Quote of note
David Letterman returned Monday night from a break and made numerous jokes about a recent threat against him, including this top 10 list about “thoughts that went through my mind after hearing about the threat":
10. Someone wants to silence me? Get in line.
9. Nothing says summer fun like a death threat.
8. Why is the staff in such a good mood?
7. Save me, Oprah.
6. Should I wear my Kevlar hairpiece?
5. And here I thought nobody watched the show.
4. How can someone be so angry at a time when Kim Kardashian is so happy?
3. Some people get Emmy nominations; some people get death threats.
2. This seems like (Jay) Leno's handiwork.
1. Oh my God! They canceled the “George Lopez Show.”
Here’s a new one: St. Louis Cardinals star Matt Holliday had to leave the game Monday when a moth flew into his ear. Watch the report below.
GateHouse News Service