Electrical problem possible cause of blaze that destroys garage
The fire that gutted a garage in Ford City Monday afternoon was probably accidental.
“It still under investigation,” Kern County Fire Department Battalion Chief Allen Montes said. “There is nothing suspicious at all. We cannot rule out faulty wiring.”
The fire broke out in the 300 block of Polk Street just before 3 p.m. and destroyed the 600-square foot garage ad its contents.
A mobile home nearby suffered some minor fire damage, Montes said.
A 50-year-old woman was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation after she went into the mobile home to look for a dog, Montes said.
She was given oxygen at the scene and but not need hospital treatment, Montes said.
An engine and truck from Taft and engines from Maricopa and Fellows responded to the fire.
Moontes estamated the damage at roughly $25,000.