Vernon L. Swenson passed away peacefully January 14, 2014, with his loving family at his bedside. Vernon was born at home in Veneta, Oregon July 4, 1923; the youngest son of Roy and Grace Swenson. He worked with his father and brother in the family sawmill until his father retired and began racing thoroughbred horses. He then moved to Ridgefield, Washington where he started breeding and raising racehorses. In 1960 he loaded up the family and animals, including ducks and chickens, and moved to the ranch in Mount Shasta, where he remained, and his wife of 66 years, Leora Swenson, continues to reside. Survivors include his children: Larry Swenson (and Kathy), Stanley Swenson, and Vernon Swenson Jr. (and Robin), all of Mount Shasta; and daughters: Sue Lynch (and Joe) of Prince George, British Columbia, Sally Hupp (and David) of Roseville, California, and Sarah Hines of Elverta, California. He is survived by grandchildren: Loren Swenson, Josh Swenson, Nanette Lesser, Matt Nibecker, Jake Swenson, Colton Swenson, Kainoa Ferguson, DJ Hupp, Curtis Hupp, Amy Simenson, Jaime Hines, Kimberley Hines; and 14 great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his daughter, Nancy Swenson; parents, Roy and Grace Swenson; sister, Maxine Taylor; and brother, Chester Swenson. Vernon found great joy and contentment raising, breaking and training thoroughbred racehorses, but was most happy when he could get a good price on a winner. He loved to take his horses to the California Fair Circuit, Portland Meadows and Phoenix to race. In later years he settled for a trip to the off track in Anderson, California or a good bet on the TVG website. Vernon liked to attend auctions and came home with several treasures, most of which had four wheels. He enjoyed a good game of cards and usually won. He collected guns and was an avid hunter in his younger years. Vernon was the longest standing member of the Mount Shasta Elks Lodge. Funeral services will be held at Mt. Shasta Memorial Chapel Thursday, January 23 at 1 p.m. Family and friends are invited to Lalo’s Restaurant to reminisce following the service.