Boy got tangled in cord in Derby Acres Wednesday

A young boy died in Derby Acres Wednesday afternoon after apparently becoming entangled in a cord.

Firefighters, an ambulance and Kern County Sheriff's deputies responded to a 911 call just before 5 p.m. from Fourth Street between Derby and Cloud.

They found a two-year-old boy unconscious.

CPR was started but the boy could not be resuscitated.

Kern County Sheriff's spokesman Ray Pruitt said preliminary indications are the death was accidental and was caused when the cords to a window blind became wrapped around the neck and he was asphyxiated.

The child's name has not been released.