Everyone escapes safely from late night fire

One home was destroyed and a second sustained major damage in a fire in Ford City late Sunday night.

The Kern County fire Department reported that a 1,200 square foot single family home was engulfed in flames and flames were spreading to two more on the 200 block of Polk Street just before midnight.

Firefighters said one home burned to the ground, a second was heavily damaged and a third sustained minor damage from the fire.

The fire was caused by a faulty extension cord in a bedroom, the KCFD said.

Total damage is estimated at $130,000.

There were no injuries.
Everyone was able to escape the flames safely and the American Red Cross is helping the displaced families