Team wins two, ties two

There is something about tournaments and the Taft varsity boys soccer team not losing. That theme continued in the Wasco Tournament this past Friday and Saturday when they went 2-0-2.

With the tournament record, the Wildcats are 6-2-3 on the season.

Taft got off to a strong start Friday when they edged out league rival Shafter by a score of 2-1.

“The boys were nervous because we had a few key players missing were unsure how (we) would play,” said Taft coach Cris Flores. Shafter scored the lone goal in the first half while Taft stormed back in the second half with two goals to defeat Shafter. Taft’s Brayan Camacho scored the first goal on a free kick 20 yards from the goal. The ball deflected off a defender and went into the goal. Pedro Lopez scored the game winner with Jose Torres getting the assist.

“We came hoping we could spark some intensity,” said Flores. “We change to a different formation and it changed like a flip of the switch.”

Taft got their first tie in the next match when they tied another league rival in Wasco by a score of 2-2.

Wasco took the early lead before Taft scored a pair of goals starting with Camacho’s shot that went off the Wasco goal keeper’s hands and into the goal. Torres followed with the second goal with an assist by Camacho.

The Wildcats held the lead through most of the second half before Wasco capitalized on a mistake to tie the score.

Taft continued the tie theme in their first match Saturday morning with Taft and Arvin each scoring two goals.

“We were still trying to manage the after effects of the day before,” said Taft coach Cris Flores.

Arvin had the edge in the first half by scoring the only goal that came early in the half while the Wildcats scored the only goal of the second half on Torres unassisted goal to even the score.

“The midfield worked very hard as well: Alex Arguello, Andres Camacho, Luis Tabares and Jose Torres,” said Flores.

Taft got their second victory of the tournament in their final match when they outlasted Coalinga 3-2.

“The Taft Wildcats were ready and focused to win this tournament,” said Flores. “We were a goal down early in the game kept working at creating chances and playing positions.”

Coalinga and Taft each scored a goal in the first half with the Wildcats goal coming after Marcos Ornelas took a shot from 20 yards out. The shot hit the top of the goal post with Torres getting the rebound for the goal.

“We were still confident to keep working hard get the win,” Flores said of the halftime feeling.

Taft scored the first goal of the second half before Coalinga scored the equalizer with about 10 minutes to go. Torres followed by finding Camacho in front of the net for the match winning goal.

Taft returns to action Friday when they go up against St. Joseph on the first day of the Garces Holiday Tournament at the State Farm Sports Complex. The match begins at 6:30 p.m.