Columns share an author’s personal perspective.
A caroling, a caroling, a caroling we go tell it on the mountain. Say what?
Let’s try another song. How about ... It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas time in the city. That’s not right, either.
Sometimes, it’s easy to mess up the lyrics of your favorite Christmas songs. They tend to sound the same after you’ve heard them for the millionth time. I’ve even heard some of the most popular artists in the music business mess up lyrics to a familiar holiday favorite, probably for that same reason.
Even so, I still find myself singing along to the radio or my Christmas playlist. It doesn’t matter if I get the words wrong. What matters most is that these songs make us all happy whether we want to admit that or not.
My previous Christmas quiz was a mash-up of favorite Christmas song titles. That was just a warm-up for this week’s festivities. Are you ready? This time, you’ll need to wear your thinking cap. For this quiz, decipher the mashed-up song lyrics from your favorites. Here we go with another baker’s dozen.
1. Jingle bells hear them ring the bells on Christmas day.
2. Sweet hymns of joy to the world the lord has come all ye faithful.
3. Have yourself a merry little drummer boy child is this.
4. Deck the halls with boughs of holly jolly Christmas is on it’s way.
5. He began to dance around the Christmas tree tops glisten.
6. Haul out the holly and the ivy when they are all full grown up Christmas list.
7. At the fireplace while we watch the chestnuts roasting on a green Christmas tree.
8. Let earth receive her King Wenceslas looked a lot like daddy.
9. Born is the king of kings lay thus is lowly manger no crib for a bed.
10. I’ll be home with bells on bobtails ring-a-ling.
11. All of the other reindeer walking home from our housetop click click click.
12. Santa cutie there’s one little thing I really do need a little Christmas time in the city
13. ... said the night wind to the little lamb do they know its Christmas I gave you my heart.
I know what you’re thinking, ”... he’s been drinking too much eggnog!” This wasn’t easy to compile, I have to admit. Feel free to Google any part of these lyrics to see how they work. I’ll have a third quiz for Christmas weekend, and I promise it will be a bit easier.
Have a Merry Christmas!
Answers: (1) “Jingle Bells”/“Silver Bells”/“I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day.” (2) “O Holy Night”/“Joy To The World”/“O Come All Ye Faithful.” (3) “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas”/“The Drummer Boy”/“Mary’s Boy Child”/“What Child Is This?” (4) “Deck The Halls”/“A Holly Jolly Christmas”/“Christmas is On It’s Way.” (5) “Frosty The Snowman.”/“Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree”/“White Christmas.” (6) “We Need A Little Christmas”/“The Holly And The Ivy”/“My Grown Up Christmas List.” (7) “Sleigh Ride”/“Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)”/“Blue Christmas.” (8) “Joy To The World”/“Good King Wenceslas”/“Santa Looked A lot Like Daddy.” (9) “The First Noel”/“O Holy Night”/“Away In The Manger.” (10) “I’ll Be Home With Bells On”/“Jingle Bells”/“Silver Bells.” (11) “Rudolf, The Red-Nosed Reindeer”/Grand Got Run Over By A Reindeer”/“Up On A Housetop.” (12) “Santa Baby”/“We Need A Little Christmas”/“Silver Bells.” (13) “Do You Hear What I hear?”/“Do They Know it’s Christmas?”/“Last Christmas.”
David T. Farr can be reached at email@example.com.
This article originally appeared on Taft Midway Driller: The Farr Side column: Another holiday music mash-up quiz