Fire broke out in attic Thursday night

An electrical fire caused $15,000 damage to a Taft Heights home Thursday night.

The Kern County Fire Department reported the residents of the house on the 400 block of F Street were alerted by a smoke detector just after 9 p.m. and called 911 and evacuated the house.

Firefighters arrived minutes later to find smoke coming from the attic of the 1,000 square foot residence.

The attic fire was quickly extinguished and salvage operations were performed to protect

some of the home owners belongings.

The fire was determined to be electrical in origin.