Pet dog perishes in blaze

A Ford City home sustained major damage and a pet dog was killed in a fire at midday Saturday.

The fire broke out at about 12:15 in a single-wide mobile home at 405 Jackson Street.
The fire is believed to have started on a stove in the kitchen, firefighters said.

The fire was contained to the mobile home but it sustained major damage from smoke and fire.

There were no human injuries, but extra firefighters were dispatched because of the near 100-heat.

Hall Ambulance was called to the scene to monitor firefighters for signs of heat exhaustion and help them cool off.

Engines from Taft, Fellows, Maricopa, Buttonwillow and McKittrick responded to the scene.