He was trying to light barbecue when it flashed, KCFD says

A man was burned when a barbecue fire got out of control at a Taft Heights home Friday afternoon and spread to the house.

The victim was using a gas can to light the barbecue in the 500 block of Harding Avenue about 3:30 p.m., Kern County firefighters said.

When he fire erupted, the flames spread to the side of the house and under the eaves and into the attic.

The man suffered burns to his face trying to extinguish the fire and will probably need hospital, treatment according to the KCFD.
The house sustained extensive damage.
Firelighters had to pull down the ceiling in the kitchen and living room to get to the fire burning in the attic.

Several small pets, including rabbits, pigs and ferrets, were rescued, though.