Boy, 15, who was 'targeted' in Arkansas school shooting dies after two days in hospital, officials say
PINE BLUFF, Ark. — A 15-year-old boy shot at an Arkansas junior high school earlier this week died Wednesday, officials said.
Lt. David DeFoor, Pine Bluff police spokesman, confirmed the death Wednesday night, citing the Pulaski County Coroner's Office in Little Rock. A deputy at the coroner's office referred inquiries back to Pine Bluff police.
The boy, identified by his family and the Watson Chapel School District as Daylon Burnett, died after two days under intensive care at Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock.
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported the boy’s death, citing a Facebook post from his mother: “Y’all my boy got his wings at 5:35 p.m.,” Keisha Lee wrote, posting a photo of her with her son.
Earlier Wednesday, a judge set a $1 million bond for the 15-year-old boy accused of the shooting at Watson Chapel Junior High School in Pine Bluff, about 40 miles southeast of Little Rock.
Mass shootings hit a record high in 2020:Can COVID-19 vaccines bring peace in 2021?
The suspect, whose name police were withholding because he is a juvenile, remained in Jefferson County's juvenile detention center charged with first-degree battery. A homicide charge has yet to be filed. His next court appearance is scheduled for April 12.
Authorities have said they believe the shooting was targeted, not random, but they don't yet know a motive.
"We don't have a definite motive right now as to why the incident occurred," Pine Bluff Police Chief Kelvin Sergeant said Monday. "However we do believe this was a targeted incident as opposed to a random incident."